How do I amend Form 941?

Updated July 17, 2015
How do I amend form 941?
The 941X or amendment form for the federal 941 is one of the most confusing and difficult federal forms to complete. It requires us to show the tax totals as filed on the original 941, the new totals as adjusted, as well as the changes in detail between the two sets of totals. This is very difficult to complete successfully because the change must be based upon existing tax law and compliance principles as proscribed by The IRS. This isn’t something that the The Internal Revenue Service simply rubber stamps and accepts, especially if you are seeking a refund.
If you need to change a 941, don’t try to do this yourself. You may just end up making things worse.
If you are asking yourself how do I amend form 941 or have issues with your accounting in general, we would love to help. I enjoy hearing from my readers, and can be contacted at
Additional Accounting Articles and information on my firm can be found at
Chris Amundson is the President of Accounting Solutions Ltd., a full service public accounting firm of Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents handling the bookkeeping, accounting, tax preparation, and audit representation needs of Businesses, Estates, Trusts, and Upper Income Individuals.